(Advance note: this is not directed at any one specific person, but to all the people who do nothing but nothing in the world).
I really don’t feel sorry for people who do nothing to better themselves, who live in mounds of pity that they blanketed themselves with. It’s bullshit. Are you unhappy? Do you hate your life? Your job? Your major? Figure out the problem and fix it, bitch. Ain’t no body gonna do it for ya. It took me three years in a program I hated, and one of my best friends DYING for me to stop and say, “Hey. This isn’t working. I’m not happy. I need to be with music again.” And I found a way to do that. It’s not a secret that life involves some struggles, so why do you act like this is a surprise and hole away instead of stepping up?
Fuck you and your sob stories about how miserable your life is. Newsflash: Every single person on this earth has had hard times. I can give you a laundry list of mine if you’d like!
- Legal troubles!
- Best friend died!
- Another friend killed! This year!
- Alcoholic and unreliable father!
- Murderers, alcoholics, drug addicts, and otherwise bona-fide crazies ALL UP IN my family!
- Broke as shit! Living off my parents and students loans until the end of college!
- Disagreeable roommate!
- Graduating a year late!
- Failed a couple of college classes!
- Car occasionally and inexplicably won’t start!
- Bad allergies! Weak knees! Annoyingly thick hair! Out of shape! (Okay, you get the idea)
You won’t see me sleeping on a street corner, blaming my crazy family. Or giving up on school because sometimes it is too much, frustrating, difficult, expensive, etc. But hey! Guess What? Thing’s ain’t too bad, homey.
- Handling the legal troubles!
- Leaseholder on the apartment!
- I’m still gonna graduate college!
- Opportunities up ahead!
- Awesome friends!
- Award-winning music TV show!
- New even more badass music TV show!
- Not a teen mom! (always a relief)
- Seriously. Awesome friends!
- Living off of my parents, but not WITH them!
- You can always retake a class!
- On the radio again soon!
- Putting on a benefit show!
- Adventures! Road trips! Life experiences!
- And did I mention my fun, hilarious, crazy, talented, inspiring and beautiful friends, classmates and peers that work to further the arts & music community in our bleak state?! ‘Cause they’re goddamn righteous, man!
Anyways, my point is: Don’t wallow on the downside of things; accept them, deal with them, and keep your focus on all that’s good. Because this world is corrupt and unfair and horrible and there are truly evil people out there. But there is also so much beauty, it’s sick. There are more good people than bad, and I promise your best friends and soul mates are out there if you just open yourself up to happiness. As the old cliche tells us, Life is what you make it. I say, make it awesome, or get the hell off the planet. Or at least off your parent’s couch. Sheesh.